Sarah Ferguson opened up about not being invited to Kate Middleton and Prince William’s royal wedding, telling Town & Country in a recent interview that she wasn’t “worthy” of attending the 2011 nuptials.
“I didn’t think I was probably worthy to go to their wedding,” the Duchess of York said in the article, published Monday.
“I took myself to Thailand, actually, to be far away from it so that I could try and heal,” she added.
Ferguson was no longer a part of the royal family when the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge were married, as she and Prince Andrew split in 1996. Her divorce wasn’t the only thing keeping her from an invite, though, as the duchess was caught in a widely publicized, pay-for-access scheme in 2010.
Ferguson was under the impression she was speaking with a businessman (who was really a News of the World reporter), and told the reporter in question that they could get access to the Duke of York for a fee close to $700,000. She was also caught accepting a cash advance in video footage.
Ferguson, who is also known by her nickname, “Fergie,” has previously expressed sadness over being excluded from the fête.
The duchess told Oprah Winfrey in an interview conducted just one month after the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s nuptials that it was “so difficult” to not be there with her ex-husband and their daughters, Princess Eugenie and Princess Beatrice, as they attended the wedding.