The Sydney Roosters are reportedly in danger of losing forward Angus Crichton to Rugby Australia ahead of the 2023 Rugby World Cup in France.
Crichton played the 15-a-side format throughout his junior years, representing the Australian Schoolboys rugby union team before signing for the South Sydney Rabbitohs in 2016.
And as first reported by Wide World of Sports, the 25-year-old is in danger of being poached by Rugby Australia.
Watch The 2021 NRL Telstra Premiership Live & On-Demand on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >
Last month, former Wallabies great Tim Horan implored Rugby Australia to chase Crichton’s signature.
“If Rugby Australia and (Wallabies coach) David Rennie haven’t had a chat to Angus already, they should,” he said.
“He is killing it in rugby league and the next six months are important in terms of gauging his interest.
“If he comes back, he has to come back for the right reasons, which is to play for the Wallabies in a World Cup.”
The Roosters will be eager to keep Crichton at Bondi following the retirement of former captain Boyd Cordner.
READ MORE: Red-hot NRL star made $1m mistake
Earlier this year, Crichton signed a 12-month contract extension with the Roosters, keeping him at East Sydney until the end of the 2022 season.
The back-rower has represented the New South Blues in 10 State of Origin games, but is yet to be selected for the Kangaroos.
On Monday, Crichton copped a three-week suspension following a crusher tackle on Penrith‘s Liam Martin during Saturday’s clash at Suncorp Stadium, his fourth charge from the NRL Judiciary this year.
The Daily Telegraph’s Phil Rothfield was unimpressed with the punishment, arguing the misdemeanour did not warrant three weeks on the sidelines.
“It wasn’t a three-week suspension tackle … that is outrageous,” he told Fox League’s NRL 360.