Young Victorians are rushing to vaccination centres for the AstraZeneca jab as the state battles its latest Delta outbreak.
The state government on Monday expanded its access to the AstraZeneca vaccines for 18 to 39 year-olds, and in the 24 hours since thousands of Victorians made an appointment to get the vaccine.
More than 2000 first doses of the vaccine was administered yesterday, as part of the expansion.
Health Minister Martin Foley said it was proof young people wanted to get vaccinated.
“I think that just gives strong emphasis to the fact that young people in particularly under 39 want to get vaccinated,” he said.
“Clearly young people have assessed their personal situation in a strong and informed manner and many are determining that there are significant risks in remaining unvaccinated during the Delta outbreak.
“They’ve made a balanced and pretty straightforward decision as to where their interests and the community interests lie, because they know it’s not just about them.”
It comes as Victoria reported 20 new cases on Tuesday, with 15 infectious in the community.
Melbourne remains under strict lockdown restrictions, as regional Victoria exited the restrictions on Tuesday morning.
The state has penned around 33,000 new vaccine bookings, with a third of those being for the AstraZeneca vaccine.
A further 50,000 appointments have opened up over the next month, with 21,000 of those available for AstraZeneca.
Authorities last week said lockdowns would be a significant tool in reducing the spread of the virus until around 80 per cent of the population was vaccinated.
“Young people are coming forward to get vaccinated because they want to get to a Covid normal world as rapidly as we possibly can,” Mr Foley said.
“AstraZeneca as demonstrated itself to be safe, effective and increasingly available.
“All Victorians who have been vaccinated, have done it to protect themselves, to protect our families and to protect the communities that we’re a part of.”